Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Oh dear, what have you done Tony...

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I bet it didn't.

DeZerbi reportedly lost out on some serious job offers around the turn of the year, due to the cost to his suitors of paying the compensation set out in his Albion contract. I'd imagine that allowing for that to disappear, is incentive enough for RDZ to accept a no-strings clean break.
What a shame we couldn’t work something out, we may have got Glasner :smile:

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I admire the way RdZ has been sacked, cleanly, amicably and without the usual payoff that managers seem to expect, see Poyet. He was always passing through as will be many more of our managers to come. In defence of RdZ and any manager in the same position it is hardly his fault if the players can’t score. The fact that the players had chances to score is his job not the finishing. That is up to them.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
They have targeted KM according to TS interesting one he looks a players manager so probably not that much different to RDZ.
We're bringing in Kylie Minogue? 😲

1716217693444.png

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm glad your getting pelters for starting this thread and, as @Herr Tubthumper says, why not post this in another thread like the one questioning whether Tony warrants trust, because your trust (in what precisely?) is what you're ultimately raising on this thread.
I'll try and go easy for all those that share your views on this, but maybe have a look at the outstanding post by @Kalimantan Gull about floors and ceilings (see below), and also recognise that we're competing against petrostates, etc

Great article by @Kalimantan Gull Thanks for posting it.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Whose fault was it that we didn’t go on an FA Cup run this season? It wasn’t someone who decided it would be a good idea to have a strop around then was it?

We may take one or two steps back next season but imo TB did exactly the right thing. You cannot have a manager who thinks he is more important than the club, which is what I think we ended up with this season.
Yes. AND... even if Tony had delivered on RDZ's requests (presumably spending gazillions on some experienced players) my strong bet is that RDZ would have left anyway after one more season, unless we'd have achieved Champions League, and perhaps even if we had.

He needs to dominate his environment (IMO). As he said himself, early on, after two years a club/team has normally had enough of him because..."he's a bit much".

Maybe it's the other way around... he's had enough of everything/everybody else if it can't be bent to his will (player skills as well as owners).

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I do think RDZ was THE big chance for us to progress further and kick on. I also think we should have spent money in January when it was clear our issues with injuries could derail our season. Yes, I know - the model, etc etc. But I do think we could have achieved something under RDZ - hell, even win a trophy - if Tony could have matched De Zerbi's ambition financially. We will never see a manager like him again.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
1716229980821.jpeg

KM ?

“The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular representative is to represent them in the Europa Conference League.”

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I do think RDZ was THE big chance for us to progress further and kick on. I also think we should have spent money in January when it was clear our issues with injuries could derail our season. Yes, I know - the model, etc etc. But I do think we could have achieved something under RDZ - hell, even win a trophy - if Tony could have matched De Zerbi's ambition financially. We will never see a manager like him again.
Barber speaks highly of him

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes. AND... even if Tony had delivered on RDZ's requests (presumably spending gazillions on some experienced players) my strong bet is that RDZ would have left anyway after one more season, unless we'd have achieved Champions League, and perhaps even if we had.

He needs to dominate his environment (IMO). As he said himself, early on, after two years a club/team has normally had enough of him because..."he's a bit much".

Maybe it's the other way around... he's had enough of everything/everybody else if it can't be bent to his will (player skills as well as owners).
I have taken risks, pressed buttons and pushed out boats in my life. Did it work?

Sometimes.

My one regret is that I have no regrets.
Same for Roberto I suspect. :shrug:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This. RDZ was an outlier. The next guy will tell Bloom and Barber what they want to hear, rather than what they need to hear

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here