Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Killing Joke

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Don't know if there are any fellow Killing Jokers on here, but their new album, Absolute Dissent, their 12th in 30 years, is their best yet, and contains some absolutely blistering tracks - 'The Great Cull', 'In Excelsis', 'Endgame', especially. I haven't stopped playing it.

Far from mellowing with age and longetivity, this album shows them getting musically heavier and angrier than ever, and 'Geordie' Walker is still one of the best but most under-rated guitarists ever. Even Metallica 'cover' one of Killing Joke's songs in their live set.

They did a semi-secret warm-up gig (for the current world tour) in Bristol last Saturday, at the The Fleece , a venue which only holds 400 people. I felt privileged to be among them, having first seen them at was was then 'Jenkinsons' on the seafront next to the Brighton Centre, back in 1980.

Given the manufactured shiny pop and shallow X-Factor trash that clutters up TV and radio today, thank God for authentic, 'earthy', raw bands like the mighty Killing Joke.

punk:punk:punk:

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Don't know if there are any fellow Killing Jokers on here, but their new album, Absolute Dissent, their 12th in 30 years, is their best yet, and contains some absolutely blistering tracks - 'The Great Cull', 'In Excelsis', 'Endgame', especially. I haven't stopped playing it.

Far from mellowing with age and longetivity, this album shows them getting musically heavier and angrier than ever, and 'Geordie' Walker is still one of the best but most under-rated guitarists ever. Even Metallica 'cover' one of Killing Joke's songs in their live set.

They did a semi-secret warm-up gig (for the current world tour) in Bristol last Saturday, at the The Fleece , a venue which only holds 400 people. I felt privileged to be among them, having first seen them at was was then 'Jenkinsons' on the seafront next to the Brighton Centre, back in 1980.

Given the manufactured shiny pop and shallow X-Factor trash that clutters up TV and radio today, thank God for authentic, 'earthy', raw bands like the mighty Killing Joke.

what's the line up nowadays then?
I think the last new thing I bought by them was Love Like Blood when I was at Uni.... Requiem and Nervous System are still two of my all time favouritre tunes.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Saw them ot Rebellion last year, like them but not a massive fan.
Mate of mine is going to the Hammersmith Apollo in a couple of weeks.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
what's the line up nowadays then?
I think the last new thing I bought by them was Love Like Blood when I was at Uni.... Requiem and Nervous System are still two of my all time favouritre tunes.

Following the death of bassist 'Raven' a 2-3 years ago, they have reverted to the original line-up, with middle-aged 'Youth'(!) back on bass, and 'Big Paul' Ferguson back on drums.

They still always do 'Requiem' in their live set.

I reckon you'd love the new album - they have not mellowed with age!:thumbsup:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

Sorry, I dont get it.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I saw them at ATP Minehead last year- not really my scene but absolutely brutal and good fun.

They were followed by Sleep, Jesus Lizard and Spiritualized I think.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
They had an album out 4 or 5 years ago, 'Killing Joke' which was outstanding, and then 'Hosannas from the Basement of Hell' a couple of years ago, again a superb LP. I shall look forward to this new on, they really are better now that they ever were.

Anyone remember the time they were on TOTP, the bass player had blown them out so some bloke form the audience was called in, and they put a deep sea divers helmet on him and he mimed the song on stage with the band!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Even Metallica 'cover' one of Killing Joke's songs in their live set. :

Just downloading it, I see the Metallica version of 'The Wait' is on the delux version of the album :punk:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Youth occasionally drank in the Burrell, after he split with the band and went onto form brilliant ..... Who weren't!
Corking band

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
For my tuppence worth, much as I loved them in 1980, I was debating the merits of seeing KJ 2010 with myself just last week. I came to the conclusion that I would go along if they came to my town, but I couldn't stir myself enough to go and see them 100 km away on a cold Tuesday evening.

Hence I chose to miss them at the Amsterdam Melkweg this week...

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
For my tuppence worth, much as I loved them in 1980, I was debating the merits of seeing KJ 2010 with myself just last week. I came to the conclusion that I would go along if they came to my town, but I couldn't stir myself enough to go and see them 100 km away on a cold Tuesday evening.

Hence I chose to miss them at the Amsterdam Melkweg this week...

:lolol::laugh::lolol:

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
True, but they had a few good songs - I liked That's What Good Friends Are For.

Always liked the first single they brought out, although can't for the life of me remember what it was, and that was it. Seem to remember they all had dreadlocks for some reason!

As for KJ saw them at the Hammersmith Palais and a couple of other venues back in the days and they were superb. Fave song was always 'Tension' as i loved the kind of football chant in it!!

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
This thread got me thinking too that some of you oldies might fancy this. Matt was a bit of a legend for me and I'll probably go as some of my old crowd will be up there!

Attachments

• 46520_465593464873_659829873_6383177_3628136_n.jpg
    46520_465593464873_659829873_6383177_3628136_n.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 158

rcf0712

Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
This thread got me thinking too that some of you oldies might fancy this. Matt was a bit of a legend for me and I'll probably go as some of my old crowd will be up there!
Chiefs of Relief - hell yeah, saw them support B.A.D. at The Astoria once, they rocked....

rcf0712

Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Following the death of bassist 'Raven' a 2-3 years ago, they have reverted to the original line-up, with middle-aged 'Youth'(!) back on bass, and 'Big Paul' Ferguson back on drums.

They still always do 'Requiem' in their live set.

I reckon you'd love the new album - they have not mellowed with age!:thumbsup:
noice, will look out for it......

Monsieur Wabee

Apr 30, 2009
Cowfold
Got the album on Tuesday and have to agree it's the best thing they've ever done. Raven was a legend, but having Youth back just makes it sound like they're 30 years younger.

Just got to convince my good lady to accompany to Hammersmith to see them.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I thought this was going to be joke about killing, read the whole thing and thought... I dont get! :p

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Got the album on Tuesday and have to agree it's the best thing they've ever done. Raven was a legend, but having Youth back just makes it sound like they're 30 years younger.

Just got to convince my good lady to accompany to Hammersmith to see them.

Have you heard their album from a few year back 'Killing Joke'? I think that is the best album, up until this one, which I am slowly going through, quite a hard one to listen to I'm finding, but then again, I am trying to do other things.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here