Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Worst holiday you’ve ever been on

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Apart from corsica all my other French trips have been great.

As for dubai and vegas. I'm lucky to have had 2 trips to vegas and both were much better than expected if the can see through the mask of the place.

Dubai however was everything wrong. Again went on a work trip and lots of horrible things happened to work colleagues there so not on my own holiday list
Dubai is just horrendously expensive. Didn't enjoy it much apart from one evening in Goodfellas bar drinking happy hour half price (only £7) beer, sitting behind a plastic Arse fan, watching Brighton win 3-0 at the Emirates. He did not join in with my singing and left before the final whistle.
I did enjoy the camel biriyani on the last evening in a local, downmarket, Indian restaurant

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Been there loads of times with work. Full of boorish drunken expats in all the bars (plus Arabs taking it a bit of time off from their religious beliefs drinking and talking to nice young Russian ladies), identikit shopping malls full of stuff you don’t want, restaurants competing to see who can be the most expensive/gimmicky and some of the world’s worst drivers. Unbearable heat in summer, few pavements so can’t really walk anywhere and there’s not actually a lot to do. Enormous tax free salaries keep the Finance industry people there 🙄
So can I put you down as undecided?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Portugal all inclusive for Christmas. Was our honeymoon. We were originally booked to go to Turkey but advised not to travel there at that particular time, had to make a quick second choice and chose Portugal.

I was bored stupid, not my thing at all. We are used to motorbike holidays all over Europe and not being stuck in one place all the time. Not beach and pool people particularly.

Christmas day was crap, nothing laid on and dinner not till the evening. Hired a car in the end and drove out for something to do, nearly everything was closed.

It's been bike holidays ever since and we have been to some fantastic places on the bike...
Portugal, the Algarve in particular, is not good for winter holidays, unless it's a golfing holiday. Many, many places close from December to February ( but not the gentleman's clubs and massage parlours catering for holiday golfers) and the Portuguese, whilst generally friendly are not very lively at the best of times. Their traditional Christmas meal is octopus on Christmas Eve.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I went to Kavos, Crete in the mid 90’s with a mate. There was a fkn boring curfew (I’m a night owl) where all outside bars had to turn music off at midnight, whilst bars/clubs closed at 3am rather than 6am.

As a punishment to the industry and young British visitors …. because a Brit on a moped had killed an elderly Greek lady a few weeks previous.

Kavos, Crete ?
Shome Mishtake shurely ?
Kavos is in Corfu

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I had a very nice time in Kos. Took the missus and first born who was about 9 months old. I did though have an entirely different holiday to everyone else there.
We were in a small row of self catering apartments attached to a big somewhat tired hotel, that was probably one of the biggest until they started building all inclusive behemoths.
Every day we woke up early (baby) made ourselves coffee, walked to beach for a swim and play with baby then pop in somewhere for breakfast.
Then we'd head back to hotel never getting back later than 11am just as everyone in the hotel left for the beach.
Then we'd put baby down, have a siesta ourselves, read a book, sit in the nice shade straight outside our room.
As the heat went out the day we'd head out again, passing the beetroot hotel guests on their way in. Cycle off with baby in trailer to somewhere further away for a dip then onwards to a restaurant for early dinner. Again return to hotel as many guests but leave for evening. Sit outside, nice cooling breeze, it's lovely and quiet, drink ouzo, fast asleep before anyone returns.
Only met one couple (who may have previously been to Goa) the entire time when the occupants of the next door apartment had finally burnt themselves so badly they stayed in their last day.
So quietest holiday I ever had was in a big hotel by a beach. I didn't get much of a tan but saw so much sunburn my retinas probably have melanoma.
I think you're on the wrong thread.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Outside Paris the French can be very pleasant, especially if you try to speak a bit of French. Even the French hate Parisians.
We got a puncture in Fougeres. Managed to limp to a Le Kwik Fit and tried using schoolboy french to explain our dilemma. Very pleasant and patient young man said “would it help if I spoke english ?"

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Paphos 2003 holiday for 2 weeks 4 of us in a 2 bed apartment on the Tomb of Kings Road . Everything fine for 7 days ,then one of our group phoned home to his partner . Some sort of argument took place ,he was acting strange for the next couple of days . One morning and [i admit i snore like a train] i awoke to find him awake but not right . I went to reception to inquire about a Doctor ,the girl asked are you in room 6 ? Yes i replied the girl replied well your friend went for a jab last night to calm him down . Me and my 2 friends decided to leave him be and go out for the day and evening . Returning in the early hours the following day ,we found him rocking on his bed asking for an Ambulance . The said Ambulance turned up and forcibly strapped him down and jabbed him as he was spitting at us and accusing us of trying to kill him . We spoke to a rep who agreed we needed to get him home ASAP,but it may be the following day so we'd have to spend a night if he came back . We left costing £150 for a cab to Larnaca for a flight that cost £400 one way . On the subject of Paris went once lasted 15 minutes ,2 guys arguing outside Gard De Nord ended up one stabbed the other and killed the other that was enough . Not me as the original post said :dunce:

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Paphos 2003 holiday for 2 weeks 4 of us in a 2 bed apartment on the Tomb of Kings Road . Everything fine for 7 days ,then one of our group phoned home to his partner . Some sort of argument took place ,he was acting strange for the next couple of days . One morning and [i admit i snore like a train] i awoke to find him awake but not right . I went to reception to inquire about a Doctor ,the girl asked are you in room 6 ? Yes i replied the girl replied well your friend went for a jab last night to calm him down . Me and my 2 friends decided to leave him be and go out for the day and evening . Returning in the early hours the following day ,we found him rocking on his bed asking for an Ambulance . The said Ambulance turned up and forcibly strapped him down and jabbed him as he was spitting at us and accusing us of trying to kill him . We spoke to a rep who agreed we needed to get him home ASAP,but it may be the following day so we'd have to spend a night if he came back . We left costing £150 for a cab to Larnaca for a flight that cost £400 one way . On the subject of Paris went once lasted 15 minutes ,2 guys arguing outside Gard De Nord ended up one stabbed the other and killed me that was enough .
Well, that would do it.

What a strange, frightening, experience.

Templeton Peck

Faceman
Jul 15, 2009
Brighton
Heidelberg, Germany in the 2000's with the now Ex just before Christmas to go to the Markets. Her idea.

The flight was delayed due to Heavy rain and fog their end. Flight was full so my Hand Luggage got checked, said Luggage sat on the Tarmac in Germany in the rain for 2hrs so everything was soaked.

Despite the fact she'd been there before she repeatedly got us lost when we could go outside avoiding the torrential rain. Christmas Markets were no better than ones here, just full of useless tat.

2days before leaving temperature plummeted causing freezing rain and frozen runways with all flights cancelled, meaning we'd likely have been stuck there for Christmas had she not have had a paddy in Reception and shouted "I don't want to be in this shitty town anymore" Hotel weren't that keen on extending our stay after that...

Made it home late on 23rd Dec and broke up the next day.

A Stag-Do in Wales follows closely in at number 2.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Which resort?

I’ve been 50+ times, never seen trouble at night. Only hearing of a couple of scuffles at night in Sauze and Schladming.

You’re right it’s not cheap. Watch the pennies savers would hate being on ski/snowboarding trip.
Val Thorens. Couldn’t sleep one night and went for a walk round when the clubs were kicking out, it was pretty awful.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
I went to Kavos, Corfu in the mid 90’s with a mate. There was a fkn boring curfew (I’m a night owl) where all outside bars had to turn music off at midnight, whilst bars/clubs closed at 3am rather than 6am.

As a punishment to the industry and young British visitors …. because a Brit on a moped had killed an elderly Greek lady a few weeks previous.
If you’re saying the curfew was because of the moped accident I’m not sure that’s correct, I was in Ipsos, Corfu in 1990 and it was in place then. So bad that bars had to have a double set of doors so you were in a “holding area” operated by door staff so sound couldn’t escape when you went in or out.

This was still in place to a degree in Falaraki (Rhodes) in early 2000

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If you’re saying the curfew was because of the moped accident I’m not sure that’s correct, I was in Ipsos, Corfu in 1990 and it was in place then. So bad that bars had to have a double set of doors so you were in a “holding area” operated by door staff so sound couldn’t escape when you went in or out.

This was Kavos July 1994. The holiday rep said a young Brit tearing along on a moped had killed an elderly Greek lady there weeks before. Hence the clampdown on all nightlife with the two stage nightly curfews. Clubs had to close completely at 3am.

We were gutted, selfishly. (Without narcotics) we could easy do 6am every night, and had done over the years in Magaluf, San Antonio, Gran Canaria and Tenerife.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

I worked in Falaraki in the 90’s it was in place then. Unless the bar owners bung the plod a few quid it’s no double doors and music off.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here