[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
you're literally presenting it as a conspiracy, inferring the deal was only possible because of links between company and influence on future government policy. getting the investment wrong along the way, BP bought services from Infosys.

the optics are indeed poor, people see what they want.
I fully agree with your last five words.

My argument is that leaders of the country need to be transparent, no matter their political allegiance.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Politics would be better if it was the preserve of poor people, not rich ones

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
what does one multinational company using another multinational company got to do with the question? it's people trying desperately to make a conspiracy.
Because a collosal sum of money changed hands in advance of their being public knowledge of something that fundamentally influence the value of the deal involved.

It wasn't a run of the mill deal, it was the second biggest transaction that Infosys has ever been involved in.

Coincidence is for gamblers.

Massive financial gains are for insider dealers and corrupt politicians.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Because a collosal sum of money changed hands in advance of their being public knowledge of something that fundamentally influence the value of the deal involved.

It wasn't a run of the mill deal, it was the second biggest transaction that Infosys has ever been involved in.

Coincidence is for gamblers.

Massive financial gains are for insider dealers and corrupt politicians.
going back i see you believe Infosys invested in BP, when the deal goes the other way, and a multiyear deal not a single transaction. i'd say it's odd you've seen it like this, but evidently that's how it's been portrayed by some. how it was reported in India if interested.

maybe we could go back to the question of why wealth is such a problem, and ask if multi-millionaire Dale Vince is really in a position to throw stones (cant believe i missed that either).

Last edited:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
going back i see you believe Infosys invested in BP, when the deal goes the other way, and a multiyear deal not a single transaction. i'd say it's odd you've seen it like this, but evidently that's how it's been portrayed by some. how it was reported in India if interested.

maybe we could go back to the question of why wealth is such a problem, and ask if multi-millionaire Dale Vince is really in a position to throw stones (cant believe i missed that either).

You're absolutely right

I am indeed a tin foil hat wearing buffon.

Thank you for helping me realise the error of my ways

It is clearly entirely beyond reproach, 100% legitimate and the very thought that huge sums of money moving hands between the family of the Prime Minister in advance of public notifications of Government decisions that had a fundamental influence on the value of the deal is in no way worthy of the raising of even Mona Lisa's eyebrow.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Some schools in England are sending police to the homes of children who are persistently absent, or warning them their parents may go to prison if their attendance doesn’t improve, the Observer has learned.

Headteachers say they are now under intense pressure from the government to turn around the crisis in attendance, with a record 150,000 children at state schools classed as severely absent in 2022-23. From September, all state schools in England will have to share their attendance records every day with the Department for Education.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Vice-chancellors and former ministers are warning that the cash crisis facing universities is so serious that the next government will have to urgently raise tuition fees or increase funding to avoid bankruptcies within two years.

They said the state of university finances was more dire than revealed in last week’s report by the Office for Students, which forecast 40% of England’s universities would end this year in the red.

Vice-chancellors said that increases of between £2,000 to £3,500 a year for each student would be needed to stabilise the sector.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Post-Brexit border checks will cost UK businesses £470m a year, the government’s public spending watchdog has said.

Plans to bring in border checks on goods coming from the EU faced “significant issues” including critical shortages of inspectors before their introduction last month, the National Audit Office said in a report.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Post-Brexit border checks will cost UK businesses £470m a year, the government’s public spending watchdog has said.

Plans to bring in border checks on goods coming from the EU faced “significant issues” including critical shortages of inspectors before their introduction last month, the National Audit Office said in a report.
Strategically, they’ve set the next Labour Government up with some astonishing challenges. With the help of the right wing media, they should be able to pin their financial catastrophic timebombs on the next government. The thickest people in society will lap this up along with all the hate and division they preach. They could be back 2029.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Vice-chancellors and former ministers are warning that the cash crisis facing universities is so serious that the next government will have to urgently raise tuition fees or increase funding to avoid bankruptcies within two years.

They said the state of university finances was more dire than revealed in last week’s report by the Office for Students, which forecast 40% of England’s universities would end this year in the red.

Vice-chancellors said that increases of between £2,000 to £3,500 a year for each student would be needed to stabilise the sector.
I work in a university, and while there is a financial crisis, some of it is self-inflicted, because in many universities, about 50% of student fee income goes on layers of middle-management and Soviet-style bureaucracy (Alumni Officers, Heads of Quality Assurance, Curriculum Content Officers, Strategic Co-ordinators, Business Managers, etc) - these people then drown front-line academics under pointless paper-work, box-ticking, form-filling, report-writing, and endless bureaucratic audits and convoluted performance monitoring exercises.

The 'qualitocracy' often invents time-consuming procedures and paperwork to justify their pointless jobs and salaries. Too often, they are less interested in what has been achieved academically, and more interested in whether it was achieved by following the right procedures, and in accordance with a 'strategic quality assurance framework'.

If universities are financially struggling, they could start by slashing the amount of red-tape and middle-managers. But they won't, they'll make front-line student-facing academics redundant instead to balance the books. Also, stop paying VCs £400,000-500,000 salaries.

The British Higher Education system - once the envy of the world, apparently - is completely f*****, due mainly to constant political meddling, and the attempt to turn universities into corporate businesses. The chickens are coming home to roost.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports