[Drinking] Tip your barstaff!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussexscots

3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 3, 3, 3, 3 ,3 ,3 3 coach chuggers
Pubs I use regularly, I'm happy to buy the person who serves me a drink. Particularly if it's a large round.

If I go into a new pub, I'm standing at the bar, the staff look up, make eye contact, smile or say 'I'll be with you in a moment'. Yes, I might very well offer a drink or add a couple of quid to the cost of the round. If they don't do that, then they're getting feck all.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I can certainly understand people not wanting to work in it though. Who want to be shouted at by chefs, moaned at by customers, deal with drunk dickheads, groping, rudeness etc ?
Don’t listen to @Goldstone1976 , St John isn’t quite this bad.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Most bars I go to I pay at the end; I always add tip.
The other extreme scenario in the UK is eating in a pub (some are quite good now) paying by card and forgetting to tip (or not being given an option). You can forget cash tipping. The only time I have used cash in the last 5 years is in the outside bar at the Swan and I had to remember to bring some cash to do so. Inside, your pay in advance for food by card, and the thought of tipping never enters one's mind.

I concur with others that changing UK culture to make up for the underpayment of bar staff is probably something that Sunk cooked up with the cock who owns Wetherspoons. If there was ever a core of sense to the plan, it has long sense been turned into a shit wheeze by the UK's leading shitweasels.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Did you actually get your original order or a refund?
A pair of socks eventually turned up, I’m not sure if they are fake or not they were meant to be dewalt work socks . Nothing like the ones you get from screwfix for £6 these were thin and not that good quality.
For £2.50 I thought I would try them.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The other extreme scenario in the UK is eating in a pub (some are quite good now) paying by card and forgetting to tip (or not being given an option). You can forget cash tipping. The only time I have used cash in the last 5 years is in the outside bar at the Swan and I had to remember to bring some cash to do so. Inside, your pay in advance for food by card, and the thought of tipping never enters one's mind.

I concur with others that changing UK culture to make up for the underpayment of bar staff is probably something that Sunk cooked up with the cock who owns Wetherspoons. If there was ever a core of sense to the plan, it has long sense been turned into a shit wheeze by the UK's leading shitweasels.
assume you're being silly? if not, that doesn't match reality. firstly 'Spoons aren't the one asking for tips, it's the fancier pubs & bars. secondly minimum wage has been going up at the time we see increasing tip culture. its a disguised price increase, encouraged by card use so you're less likely to notice or change it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It’s Covid that’s done this. Covid and the subsequent withdrawal of praise and financial assistance from menial workers.

During the lockdown, waiters and bar staff and the like were sat at home on 80% pay, getting £400 lump sums deposited into their accounts from universal credit every few months.

When they went back to work they were hailed as heroes. Brave souls “reopening the country”. Risking their own health to badger us into ordering “a substantial meal” when you fancied a swift half.

That vibe disappeared quicker than Boris Johnson when the bill arrives.

Now the poor little darlings are actually having to do their job for their pay. Perish the thought.

If the pay is that shit, don’t take the work. Or realise that it’s unlikely you’re going to be earning a fortune between the ages of 18-25.
Knuckle down, do a good job, study, get qualified in something that pays better.

If you give good service I’ll give a good tip. But cease all this guilt tripping into tipping you so you can sit round the other side of the jump on Sunday night and put it all back in your bosses till.

Perhaps stop fannying about trying to be a waiter/DJ and get some useful training under your belt?

Working in pubs and restaurants doesn’t pay that well. I was a Dish Bitch in restaurants to pay my way through college. I was paid £2.00 an hour.

Tips for bar staff? Do you want a bedtime story and an ice cream as well?

Beggars belief.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
assume you're being silly? if not, that doesn't match reality. firstly 'Spoons aren't the one asking for tips, it's the fancier pubs & bars. secondly minimum wage has been going up at the time we see increasing tip culture. its a disguised price increase, encouraged by card use so you're less likely to notice or change it.
Most reputable businesses pass on tips to their staff; so it isn’t a “disguised price increase”

There is actually a law which should come into being this year which legislates for this.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
assume you're being silly? if not, that doesn't match reality. firstly 'Spoons aren't the one asking for tips, it's the fancier pubs & bars.
If I went to a ‘spoons I’d probably end up giving the customers some money as well as the staff.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Not in many retail shops, but almost everything else, yes. It's absolutely out of control. How society has decided which profession deserves a tip is beyond me, it seems to be "if it's a cool job, we can pressure you into tipping". Walmart employees provide a much better service but are content with minimum wage.

As an example, at a busy bar I bought a can of beer. They barman turned 180 degrees, grabbed a beer from the fridge and opened it for me. That ten seconds work apparently warranted a $1 tip. Based on how busy the bar was, he must have been serving about 60 beers an hour. That's $60/HR in tips, or to put it another way, a higher hourly wage than a doctor who spent 7 years at medical school.

Absurd.
Reminds me of last year year in NY when in the RB stadium a can of beer was in order of $35 dollars making a round of 4 the most expensive 4 beer round I had ever paid for. Doris, behind the jump who had literally just pulled them out of a fridge then gave me the card reader with the gratuity at 15% or in that ball park……..

Once I had recovered from my seizure I proceeded to give her a lecture on the origins of US tipping culture and why it would never work in U.K. Principally, we had the plague to thank for the breakage of forced bondage, whereas they had Abe Lincoln freeing all the slaves.

As always, a surplus of unskilled Labour will never benefit the poor…………as true now as it was when the statute of Labours act was created in the 14th Century…………how we laughed.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
When I’m working in a customer’s property I’m more than happy if they offer to make me a cup of tea, I’m even happier if they have cleared out a double kitchen cupboard full of cleaning products so I can access the pipes.
I definitely don’t expect a tip or any of the above to happen.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As long as my employer pays me what they are contracted to pay me and what they said they would pay me when I signed the contract, I’m happy.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No idea what you're on about. I don't drink in Spoon. :shrug:

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
If they're friendly, I'll tip a bit.

If they just ask what I want, and then tell me how much, why should I tip that. Some don't even say hello or smile?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Most reputable businesses pass on tips to their staff; so it isn’t a “disguised price increase”

There is actually a law which should come into being this year which legislates for this.
Hmm, if we are talking about pure bar staff in a your typical boozer here, and not a restaurant, I would rather see the staff being paid a decent wage in the first place, rather than be faced with the card machine being metaphorically shoved in your face giving one the ‘option’ to pay a minimum of 10% on top of the, already, high price for your chosen bevvy. By all means buy the bar staff a ‘drink’ if you wish, but I don’t want to see customers routinely subject to the card machine guilt trip.
A disguised price increase it may be, because the poor old punter ends up lobbing out and the management doesn’t have to. I’d rather see the price of the pint go up rather than this tipping bar staff lark.
Others may disagree.😊

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports