[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

papachris

Do you want more from the excellent Estonian Prime Minister Kaja Kallas?

She is now suggesting the break up of the Russian Federation. This may be the first time a western leader has publicly done this.

As a Brit living here in Estonia I certainly get the impression she is one if the most outspoken leaders regarding the Russian invasion of Ukraine. I like that :)

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Do you want more from the excellent Estonian Prime Minister Kaja Kallas?

She is now suggesting the break up of the Russian Federation. This may be the first time a western leader has publicly done this.

Putin won't like that one little bit.
She's smart and not afraid to speak about these things... I really hope she has good security guards 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Putin won't like that one little bit.
She's smart and not afraid to speak about these things... I really hope she has good security guards 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻
It will be interesting to monitor his reaction.

I predict that Russian state propaganda (Solovyov, Simonyan etc) will villify her. Threaten her. Threaten Estonia. The usual stuff.

He may need to change the record. But does he have the capacity to do so though?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
As a Brit living here in Estonia I certainly get the impression she is one if the most outspoken leaders regarding the Russian invasion of Ukraine. I like that :)
It must be difficult living in Estonia right next to the lovely Russia.

On here, we see/hear the results of a nation being invaded by Russia, but we don't hear what it's like being next door to Russia in er, peacetime.

Do you have any experiences/anecdotes you would like to share? Only if you want to of course.....

papachris

It must be difficult living in Estonia right next to the lovely Russia.

On here, we see/hear the results of a nation being invaded by Russia, but we don't hear what it's like being next door to Russia in er, peacetime.

Do you have any experiences/anecdotes you would like to share? Only if you want to of course.....
It was extremely important that Estonia joined the EU and NATO soon after they got their freedom. Estonians are very proud and patriotic and I think a lot of people in the UK only think of them of them as a former part of USSR. However, they were an independent country up until WW2 when first of all they were invaded by Hitler's army then later by Stalin's red army which then occupied until 1991.
There is a fairly significant amount of people with Russian heritage in the population as in all the Baltic states.
This means there has always been a difficult balancing act here. However, since the Ukraine invasion the government has really stepped up in a number of areas that perhaps should have been done years ago. No matter, at least they are getting on with it now.
For instance,
Deadlines have been set for all schools to only teach in Estonian language.
Visa's and new residencies for Russians was stopped.
No Russian registered vehicles are allowed here now. They either had to be registered in Estonia or returned to Russia.
Full disconnection from the Russian grid will be complete soon
Defence spending has increased significantly.

papachris

This is the scene outside the Russian embassy in Tallinn old town. The signs have been there from the start. The Ukraine invasion is very personal because it started on our independence day, February 24th

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
It was extremely important that Estonia joined the EU and NATO soon after they got their freedom. Estonians are very proud and patriotic and I think a lot of people in the UK only think of them of them as a former part of USSR. However, they were an independent country up until WW2 when first of all they were invaded by Hitler's army then later by Stalin's red army which then occupied until 1991.
There is a fairly significant amount of people with Russian heritage in the population as in all the Baltic states.
This means there has always been a difficult balancing act here. However, since the Ukraine invasion the government has really stepped up in a number of areas that perhaps should have been done years ago. No matter, at least they are getting on with it now.
For instance,
Deadlines have been set for all schools to only teach in Estonian language.
Visa's and new residencies for Russians was stopped.
No Russian registered vehicles are allowed here now. They either had to be registered in Estonia or returned to Russia.
Full disconnection from the Russian grid will be complete soon
Defence spending has increased significantly.
Thanks for that. I was - vaguely - aware that the Baltic states have significant Russian heritage. The steps you describe sound pretty strong from here in the UK, but I appreciate I am not living next to the Russian bear.

Let's hope that the Baltic will soon be a 100% NATO lake. NATO has Putin to thank for Sweden and Finland joining NATO.

Just think of the extra work and paranoia Russian ships and subs now have, every time they enter and exit St Petersburg and Kaliningrad....

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
David Axe spells it out again:

'“If ATACMS are taking out Russian warships in Sevastopol, hard to see the base having much utility left for the Russians”.

'the frequently-damaged S-400 long-range air defense battery that protects Sevastopol and nearby Belbek air base hasn’t been able to intercept incoming ATACMS. “Russians have almost no capability to deal with them”.

'Equally troubling for the Russians, accurate ATACMS with unitary warheads could represent a serious danger to the Kerch Bridge'.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I agree with that: talk less, do more 👍
Screenshot_2024-05-20-08-22-31-75_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports